Never book and pay for travel before your exchange is finalised, and you've double-checked with the other member that it's still ok. It's also a good idea to have refundable or at least moveable tickets, just in case something happens with the other member.
Every home is different, but here are some ideas to get you started:
- Address and phone number
- Alarm details
- Wifi network and password
- Heating, cooling
- How to use appliances: oven, microwave, washing machine, dishwasher, coffee machine, BBQ
- Where the manuals are
- TV, streaming, music instructions
- Garbage info and what day it is collected, where to put the bins
- Cooking instructions
- Pool instructions
- Anything that people should not use
- Cleaning info
- Train and bus info
- Local information, restaurants and so on
- Pet information
- Anything in the garden that needs watering
- Departure information, what to do with the key
It isn't mandatory, but it's a really nice idea, it spreads happiness and will be appreciated. Something local is always nice.
People Like Us can not provide advice specific to an individual member in accordance with our terms. Members must seek out their own insurance needs with regard to home, contents, car and travel. In discussing with insurers, make them aware that exchanging is not a commercial transaction and is more akin to having a friend stay. It is also possible in some countries to purchase short-term rental insurance which, while exchanging is not short-term rental should cover guests staying in your home if your regular policy does not.
Once an exchange is complete (the end date has passed), you can go back to the exchange and you’ll see a Feedback button:
- Messages and exchanges (envelope icon)
- Click All exchanges filter
- Click on the exchange
- Scroll to the bottom and you should see the button
When the end date for an exchange passes, the People Like Us system will automatically change an exchange from Finalised to Completed. Once Completed, you can leave feedback for your exchange partner and their home.
If you can't see the button, then check the following:
- Is the exchange finalised? If not finalised, it won't change to Completed.
- Did you add dates? It's not mandatory to add the second leg dates but, if you don't, the system won't know that it's complete.
- Is your part of the exchange complete? You can only provide feedback once your side of the exchange has completed. For simultaneous, both sides complete at the same time but for non-simultaneous, you can only add feedback after you have travelled.
Open communication and clear expectations are vital for a memorable and enjoyable exchange. Discuss any questions or concerns with your partner beforehand. Here are a few tips to prepare your home for a successful home exchange:
> Clean thoroughly: Create a welcoming space for your guests.
> Clear out space: Ensure enough closet and storage room for them.
> Provide clear instructions: Detailed info on amenities helps them feel at ease.
> Arrange key exchange: Coordinate with your partner for a smooth arrival.
> Prepare for arrival: Add a personal touch with a warm welcome gesture.